[c-nsp] 7200 NAT performance

Markus H hauschild.markus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:19:44 EST 2013

Hi,

I currently plan on using a 7204VXR with an NPE-G1 at an event for NAT
only and wonder what performance I could get out of it.
Common to both secarios I am thinking about is the following:
Two active intefaces (on the NPE): one to the ISP and one the core
switch (proably GBICs on both).
A few thousand (1,5-4k) users (mostly via WLAN) surfing facebook,
twitter, etc pp.

Secnario A:
One IP on each interface, NAT inside/outside (maybe with a pool of a
hanful of IPs on the internet side) - nothing else.

Scenario B:
As above plus: Either coming from a different IP or distinguishable by
some other feature: important traffic (from event organizers) which
then needs to be given prority (or which may use some reserved
bandwidth)

I'd like to hear your performance expectations for these secnarions.

Thanks & Greetings,
Markus