[c-nsp] 6509-NEB-A

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Jan 10 18:44:56 EST 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Blake Pfankuch wrote:

> I guess I should have phrased my question a little better.  Given that
> the existing 6509's we have are 6+ year old chassis' and have soon to be
> End of Life Sup's (within 18 months), opinion based, is it justifiable
> to replace the sup's and line cards, or just bit the bullet and replace
> them with nexus?  Or is jumping to the 6509-E still considered a
> justifiable move? Anyone else out there in a similar situation
> considering a similar jump?

A lot of this also depends on what else is or could be driving your
decision, beyond needing 10G ports.

For example, how aggressively will you be rolling out IPv6?  Sup720 can
handle IPv6 well enough, for the most part, but the jury is still out on
how well the 720 could stand up to either a misconfigured/malfunctioning
host blasting out neighbor solicitations, or a compromised machine doing
the same, before tipping over.  There are NDP table management features
that have been pack-ported to 12.2SXI, but I haven't had a chance to test
how well they work.  There are also concerns about how well the 720
handles things like multicast IPv6 traffic, and IPv6 CoPP.

Also, if your long-term plan includes anything above 10G, you need to look
beyond the 6500 platform.

If having vendor-supported gear in your production network is a must, it's
time to consider the Sup2T or moving to the Nexus platform.  The Sup720
has served us extremely well for the past 8-ish years, but it's starting
to get a bit long in the tooth, as is the 6500 platform itself.  It's
stable, proven platform, and it's on Cisco's product roadmap for probably
another 5 years, but the number of 10G ports, and the amount of per-slot
bandwidth is what will ultimately determine its usable lifetime for many
customers.

Much like the 7200 VXR platform, the Cat6500 will likely live on for a
long time, because of its versatility, but performance requirements will
ultimately win the business-case arguments that will drive many customers'
strategic decisions and capital expenditures.  That will ultimately drive
when Cisco decides to phase out the 6500 platform.

jms