[c-nsp] 6509-NEB-A

Blake Pfankuch blake at pfankuch.me
Thu Jan 10 16:36:02 EST 2013

We have 7203BXL sup's currently, however these switches we think were put in early 2005.  We definitely will have a large amount of 10gbit coming soon and with Cisco announcing that the 7203BXL EOL announcement, that means we want to be off them by end of SW Maintenance Date (Feb/11/2014).

Addressing the Nexus 5000 concern, we have 8x 48 port line cards in each 6509.  Full.  Which in my opinion makes the 5000 undersized for our core switching.  Yes FEX modules are cool, but we also have our dist layer to contend with and that's 4x 4506 with 5 full 48 port card too.

I guess I should have phrased my question a little better.  Given that the existing 6509's we have are 6+ year old chassis' and have soon to be End of Life Sup's (within 18 months), opinion based, is it justifiable to replace the sup's and line cards, or just bit the bullet and replace them with nexus?  Or is jumping to the 6509-E still considered a justifiable move? Anyone else out there in a similar situation considering a similar jump?

Thanks,
Blake