[c-nsp] Advice for automating changs to asr 1001

Bryan Tabb bryan.tabb at nztechnologygroup.com
Tue Jan 15 21:16:37 EST 2013

Hi all

I was looking for some advice on what technology to use to automate small config changes to an asr1001

Changes will be small, such as adding & removing subinterfaces \ IPs and adding \ removing the odd static route for customers.

Through googling so far what i've found

1.       SSH based connection - e.g. clogin \ expect type process

2.       Dropping the config onto a tftp server then using snmp to trigger config download and wr mem

3.       I've seen IOS XR XML  for the asr 9000 but since asr used ios xe this may not be an option

Unfortunately there isn't budget to buy  an off the shelf product.

Would be interested in hearing people's experiences as i'm sure im not the first to go down this road.

Thanks!

Bryan Tabb

p.s. Version info if that helps

#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 1                                 5.1(1)S, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 22-Nov-10 12:33 by mcpre