[c-nsp] Advice for automating changs to asr 1001

Elle Plato techgrrl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:21:54 EST 2013

Bryan,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013, Bryan Tabb wrote:
> I was looking for some advice on what technology to use
> to automate small config changes to an asr1001

NetConf is defined in RFC 6241 and uses a few common transports like
ssh to connect to a device, and some http like primitives to GET,
EDIT-CONFIG, exchange capability info and so forth.  I don't know
anyone using it, but it seems well defined.  You'll have to use cisco
feature navigator to determine if your platform supports it.  Last
time I checked support was pretty variable depending on the business
unit.

I'd also be very interested in what people are using.

I'm using a mix of make files and clogin like scripts written in PERL
and Expect.  I'm in the process of rewriting everything, so I am
keenly interested in what people are doing, what they like and hate,
and where they think things are going.

Elle Plato