[c-nsp] Advice for automating changs to asr 1001

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 03:52:48 EST 2013

On 1/15/13, Bryan Tabb <bryan.tabb at nztechnologygroup.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was looking for some advice on what technology to use to automate small
> config changes to an asr1001
>
> Changes will be small, such as adding & removing subinterfaces \ IPs and
> adding \ removing the odd static route for customers.
>
> Through googling so far what i've found
>

> 1.       SSH based connection - e.g. clogin \ expect type process

clogin is really nice but you have to escape TCL special characters,
so tasks like setting the snmp community string can be a real pain

> 2.       Dropping the config onto a tftp server then using snmp to trigger
> config download and wr mem

easier than clogin since you don't have to worry about special
characters, but our security office sees 'clear text protocol' (ie.
tftp) and has a fit

> 3.       I've seen IOS XR XML  for the asr 9000 but since asr used ios xe
> this may not be an option

never tried it

supposedly another option is to scp a config snippet to the
running-config.  haven't gotten around to trying that yet either

regards,
lee