[c-nsp] ASR-100x intro

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 04:03:17 EST 2013

On 5 January 2013 12:32, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> The one area where I would like to be more "high touch" is in traffic
> shaping and QoS.  Often times we'll have a metro-ethernet customer who
> wants 50Mb/s and our metro-e provider can only provide an unthrottled
> 100Mb/s connection.  The brute-force shaping I can do on the NPE-G2 is not
> very nice, and it tends to kill VoIP.  Customers tend to balk at installing
> any substantial CPE that could do shaping on their end.

My advice would be to try to keep your network as "dumb" as possible,
rather than try to implement this kind of QoS on your equipment.  It limits
your choice of hardware and creates support overheads too.

If a customer has a sub-line-rate service they need to shape and prioritise
their traffic before sending into the network.  A Cisco 1900 as CPE should
be able to handle 50Mbps of QoS shaping.

Incidentally the NPE-G2 is a software router with quite sophisticated QoS
support - I'm pretty sure it can do input classification and shaping so I'm
surprised that you describe it as "brute-force".  That would be a term I'd
reserve for the switch line-cards on the Cat6k.

Aled