[c-nsp] 6500/Sup720-3BXL FIB TCAM tuning

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sun Jan 20 02:50:29 EST 2013

I had a maintenance window this evening to upgrade a router and attempt
to tune the FIB TCAM to be ready for continued IPv4 growth beyond the
512k default on this platform.  I'd apply the commands to tune the FIB
TCAM, reload, and upon reboot I'd have errors about a FIB Protocol
Allocation mismatch.  I'd tweak my numbers a bit (random guesses as to
why I was tripping this error), and re-check status, where I'd see this:

router#sh mls cef max

Reload scheduled in 1 minute and 2 seconds
Reload reason: FIB Protocol Allocation mismatchFIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
  IPv4 + MPLS         - 512k (default)
  IPv6 + IP Multicast - 256k (default)

User configured :-
---------------
  IPv4                - 768k
  MPLS                - 64k
  IPv6                - 48k
  IP multicast        - 48k

Upon reboot :-
-----------
  IPv4                - 768k
  MPLS                - 64k
  IPv6                - 48k
  IP multicast        - 48k

router#

Whether I made my numbers add up to 1024k (knowing that I have to
double-count the numbers for v6 and multicast) or below 1024k, it'd
continue complaining and forcing reboots until I punted and simply
removed all of the related recarve commands.

Has anyone successfully tuned this, and if so could you share the
software version and tunings used? We're running
advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ2 if that matters.

Thanks,

Pete