[c-nsp] 7204VXR reboots

Joe Pruett joey at q7.com
Mon Jan 21 16:10:51 EST 2013

On 01/12/2013 12:23 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:14:51AM +0200, Dumitru Ciobarcianu wrote:
>> You might want to upgrade the IOS, the safest bet for you (I don't know
>> what your exact requirements are) would be one from the same train, for
>> example 12.4.(24)T8.
>
> Never ever recommend a T train image if a newer mainline image exists for
> the same hardware - 15.0M runs on NPE-G1, has all the features from 12.4T
> (or so the saying goes) and many of the bugs are fixed.

i have a general question about the 12.x vs 15.x versions. i have been
running 12.4.25 on my 7206 vxr boxes and have been thinking of trying
the 15.x stuff. there are a couple things that i haven't been able to
figure out.

1. you say to use 15.0M, but i also see 15.1M and both are marked as MD.
what are the reasons for using 15.0 over 15.1?
2. i currently run the 'ip ipsec 3des' variant of 12.4. it looks like
maybe they've inverted that and now i should go for 'ip base'? i think
the only thing i cared about was ssh support. the download tool doesn't
have the compare option available for the 15.x versions.
3. not really 12 vs 15, but i have never really been able to figure out
what the 'service provider' or 'sp services' feature set really means.
mpls seems to be only in the sp side, but lots of other features are
removed from sp compared to my ipsec variant. i guess by service
provider, they mean a core router and have removed all the edge stuff?
as an isp, it always seemed like sp should apply to me, but lots of
features i need aren't there.

thanks, any insights would be great.