[c-nsp] 7204VXR reboots

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 22 05:59:56 EST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 01:10:51PM -0800, Joe Pruett wrote:
> i have a general question about the 12.x vs 15.x versions. i have been
> running 12.4.25 on my 7206 vxr boxes and have been thinking of trying
> the 15.x stuff. there are a couple things that i haven't been able to
> figure out.
>
> 1. you say to use 15.0M, but i also see 15.1M and both are marked as MD.
> what are the reasons for using 15.0 over 15.1?

Well, 15.1 has more features, needs more RAM, and might bring in extra
bugs - 15.0 has been in "only bugfixes mode" longer, so if there is nothing
in 15.1 that you need, 15.0 is likely to be less demanding and more robust.

Of course you might hit some weird bug that has already been fixed in 15.1,
but that's always possible.

> 2. i currently run the 'ip ipsec 3des' variant of 12.4. it looks like
> maybe they've inverted that and now i should go for 'ip base'? i think
> the only thing i cared about was ssh support. the download tool doesn't
> have the compare option available for the 15.x versions.

For SSH, you still need "k9" images.  No idea what specific images are
available for your hardware in 15.0/15.1, they have shuffled stuff around
quite a bit.

> 3. not really 12 vs 15, but i have never really been able to figure out
> what the 'service provider' or 'sp services' feature set really means.
> mpls seems to be only in the sp side, but lots of other features are
> removed from sp compared to my ipsec variant. i guess by service
> provider, they mean a core router and have removed all the edge stuff?
> as an isp, it always seemed like sp should apply to me, but lots of
> features i need aren't there.

Nobody knows what's inside any given IOS build.  As a rule of thumb,
whenever you want to turn on something new, the specific combination of
hardware + software + feature pack that you have will not support it.

(Yes, this does annoy me to no end)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de