[c-nsp] Cisco 6500 VLAN Question

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Wed Jan 23 12:20:53 EST 2013

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:12 PM Chris Gotstein wrote:

> I have a Cisco 6506 Switch running IOS.  Here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> Set a group of ports that are isolated from the rest of the switch, one
> of the ports coming in will be a trunk port carrying multiple VLANs.  I
> need to feed this traffic through this virtual switch to a bandwidth
> shaper, retaining the original VLAN tags, then back into the 6506 on a
> trunk port.  I tried doing this with a separate VLAN, but it appears
> that the trunking would lose the vlan tags when coming through the
> shaper and back into the 6500.  I'm having a mental block on how to make
> this work, any suggestions?

You want 802.1Q tunnelling, frequently referred to as Q-in-Q. Basically:

int gig 9/9
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 9
 switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

As a "TLS" product offering there are related commands for STP, CDP, VTP treatment but for your application the above should see you through.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/dot1qtnl.html

Cheers
Ross