[c-nsp] Router for wholesale DSL aggregation over L2TP

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Wed Jan 23 18:46:19 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:28:16PM -0600, Scott Lambert wrote:
> Windstream is changing us over from our ATM DS3 to ethernet handoff
> for DSL aggregation.
>
> We are looking to get a different router to take the ethernet handoff
> in another location.  Our current router is a 7204VXR with NPE-G1.
>
> Should I just do it on my 7204VXR?  We could afford to call a
> maintenance window for the hour or two necessary to transport it
> to the new location if needed.  Everything would need to go perfectly
> and that never happens... :-)

It turns out that the telco is going to give the DSL to us via QinQ
rather than L2TP as I had assumed.  I've been reading up on that
and it doesn't look too bad.  I have not figured out the shaping
of the individual client connections, yet.  Some more reading will
likely fill in the gap between ubr and whatever is needed with PPPoE
over QinQ.

I would like to thank everyone who replied.  Your input was very
useful and very much appreciated.  It is much easier to spend money
on a particular thing when you have several recommendation for the
same product.

We are going forward with using the 7200 series routers.

lambert at lambertfam.org