[c-nsp] Router for wholesale DSL aggregation over L2TP

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jan 17 02:37:41 EST 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Scott Lambert wrote:

> We are looking to get a different router to take the ethernet handoff
> in another location.  Our current router is a 7204VXR with NPE-G1.
>
> For less than $1000, there are 3845s available on eBay.   If the
> 3845 will do the trick, I can get a spare.

Why not get another VXR with NPE-G1 off of ebay? They're not that
expensive nowadays... You get same platform that you already know.

>From what I remember, the G1 did several hundred megabits/s of DSL
termination (still a mystery for me why people count DSL subscribers as a
number of subscribers intead of megabit/s that I would imagine is the
things taxing the router), especially if you get the old LNS IOS that
actually uses both CPUs on the G1 (12.2.<something>XB if memory serves me
correctly).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se