[c-nsp] Router for wholesale DSL aggregation over L2TP

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 16:17:27 EST 2013

Hi Scott,

The number of sessions isn't totally relevant, more important is the bandwidth through the router. We had an old NPE-300 terminating LT2P sessions and it coped quite easily with 200-250 DSL users but they were low speed (mostly 512k or 1500k), so throughput was only about 20-30Mbps in total (from memory CPU was about the same number, ie. 20-30%)

Work out if a 3845 has enough grunt to route the traffic you need and then you can decide based on that. If you're buying 2nd hand then I would think a better option might be a 7204 with NPE-G1 in it for around the same coin (and is the same thing everyone else is using).

As mentioned by someone else you will need larger MTU to handle the overhead (ie. need GigE with jumbo) and need to make sure that the handoff from your carrier allows for this too.

regards,
Tony.