[c-nsp] Flexible Netflow - Set the v9 Source ID?

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Sat Jan 26 03:38:53 EST 2013

Hi All,

I'm Just looking at Cisco's IPFIX implementation using the new "Flexible
Netflow" CLI, and wondering how one would configure the Source ID
(actually called the "Observation Domain ID") in the header.

The only reference to this I can find in documentation is at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk362/technologies_white_pape
r09186a00800a3db9_ps6601_Products_White_Paper.html

which says:

"The Source ID field is a 32-bit value that is used to guarantee
uniqueness for all flows exported from a particular device. (The Source ID
field is the equivalent of the engine type and engine ID fields found in
the NetFlow Version 5 and Version 8 headers). The format of this field is
vendor specific. In the Cisco implementation, the first two bytes are
reserved for future expansion, and will always be zero. Byte 3 provides
uniqueness with respect to the routing engine on the exporting device.
Byte 4 provides uniqueness with respect to the particular line card or
Versatile Interface Processor on the exporting device. Collector devices
should use the combination of the source IP address plus the Source ID
field to associate an incoming NetFlow export packet with a unique
instance of NetFlow on a particular device"

it seems from this that is is generated and not "flexible" (I.e user
settable), I'd very much like parity with existing exporters I have which
can indeed set this (and I make good use of it) , simply sourcing the
packets from a set/known IP isn't really what I'm after.

Thanks,

Dave.