[c-nsp] WPA SSIDs advertised as ad-hoc after WiSM2 redundancy switchover

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Jan 30 07:52:39 EST 2013

We have two WiSM2 modules in redundant setup where one module has all
the licences and the other one is in hot standby state. Both modules run
the software 7.4.100. We have seen the following annoying behaviour when
we have tested the redundancy. I have no reason to believe that the same
wouldn't happen if one of the modules failed for real.

When the hot standby module becomes the active one and all the access
points are connected to it suddenly all the WPA protected SSIDs become
unusable for most of the clients. The reason is that networks are
advertised as ad-hoc ones and not as infrastructure ones. When the
networks are disabled and enabled from the WiSM2 they continue operating
normally.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone know any solution or is
it a new or even a known bug yet to be fixed?

Cheers,

Matti