[c-nsp] LDP Traffic Statistics Counter - Not showing traffic

Arun Kumar narain.arun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 03:04:00 EDT 2013

Hi,

We are in the process of building traffic matrix in our network to analyze
and use for our forecasting the network growth.

I am planning to make use of LDP traffic statistics counters to determine
traffic flow between PE routers i.e. per LSP. Only LDP is used for LSP
formation not RSVP-TE. I am making use of the CLI "show mpls
forwarding-table <prefix>" which lists the "Bytes tag switched" but the
counters are not increasing.

C7206-NPE-G2#sh mpls for a.b.c.d
Local  Outgoing    Prefix            Bytes tag  Outgoing   Next Hop
tag    tag or VC   or Tunnel Id      switched   interface
719    16697       a.b.c.d/32   0          Gi0/2      x.x.x.x

I tried by doing a ping from the local router to the destination and
traffic is flowing through the LSP. Even tried pining a L3 MPLS VPN
customer connected between source and destination routers, but still the
counters are not increasing.

Platform and IOS version in use are: 7206 NPE-G2
and c7200p-spservicesk9-mz.124-15.T12.bin.

I would like to know

1. whether use of "LDP traffic statistics" work for my requirement.
2. any known issues in IOS with the above command i.e. could this be
related to software defect

thanks in advance
Arun