[c-nsp] Sup-720 fabric failures

Robert Williams Robert at CustodianDC.com
Sat Jul 6 06:48:34 EDT 2013

Just an update on this for those interested. The original failing supervisor has a blown capacitor on the mainboard (visible when the SP/RP complex is removed). It's obviously still able to do its job in warmer climates, but not when cold.

As for the (still failing) replacement, we are due to swap it out again today, with new parts so will have a deeper look at that mainboard also when it comes back.

Thanks for the input everyone, cheers!

Robert Williams
Custodian Data Centre
Email: Robert at CustodianDC.com
http://www.CustodianDC.com

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Robert Williams
Sent: 05 July 2013 12:31
To: Phil Mayers
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Sup-720 fabric failures

Yes we do also have some at one site where they sit at 16-18 celsius ;) all day without issues. Occasionally they complain about low warning threshold but they never fail.

I'm confused how the issue can remain despite a complete component swap, apart from the gbics. Is it even feasible they could cause a SP / fabric crash?

Also just to confirm the original temperature issue is resolved be the kit is back at 21 again now. So this 'new' chassis crash is not a temperature issue I don't believe. Just has the same fabric error / crashdump. Makes little sense to me so I was hoping someone might have either seen something similar with 15.1 or GBICs causing crashes...?

Sent from my iPhone