[c-nsp] MPLS down to the CPE

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jul 8 05:19:00 EDT 2013

On (2013-07-08 10:33 +0200), Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Well Hierarchical MPLS now with a fancy name Unified MPLS has been around
> since the advent of RFC 3107 and is how any big scale inter-as MPLS opt10C
> should have been deployed.

OptC has been undeployable for most of its history, just recently IOS-XR
implemented the 'label uRPF' mandated by the RFC. I don't think other
vendors do yet.
If there is no security, might as well run normal IGP.

Had OptC been implemented like it was written in RFC, we probably would
have used it even at CE, to muliplex VRFs, instead of VRF lite (often VLAN
not available and even when it is, large configuration overhead)
Too bad OptC leave something to be desired as well, as sometimes you'd want
to do per-customer QoS or ACL or just counters and this is not possible.
I'd like OptC where there is possibility on-demand to take some circuit out
for customer specific config, maybe something like http://ip.fi/mpls-optX.txt

--
  ++ytti