[c-nsp] Sup2T - poor netflow performance

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 22 12:39:43 EDT 2013

Thus spake Nick Hilliard (nick at foobar.org) on Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 04:51:59PM +0100:

> > I would appreciate if you could register a single opinion:
> >
> > "Licenses suck.  Please stop forcing them on us or we will buy even more
> > kit from other vendors".
>
> I doubt that the reply will be read, tbh.  Cisco's corporate position is
> that they want the go down the road of licensing and regardless of the
> extent to which this blows goats and causes customer frustration and pain,
> they will carry on regardless.  This sucks.

Realizing this, the approach I am advocating for is site licensing.

This is the method we use for pretty much every other enterprise thingy
like Autocad or Office, or whatever.  What nobody wants is to manage keys
for thousands of devices especially when things go bump in the night.

I look at licensing as lowering downtime.  Sure maybe if the kit has
NSF, ISSU, magicfoobar redundant RP's then great.  But licensing will
end up eating into your '9's of uptime.

Dale