[c-nsp] Sup2T - poor netflow performance

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Jul 22 11:51:59 EDT 2013

On 22/07/2013 11:44, Eugeniu Patrascu wrote:
> And then you look at the licensing options and find that you need to pay
> the same sum again to have the box actually do anything interesting :)
> Cisco/Juniper are copying Brocade with their licensing model for almost
> every feature.

Yeah, licenses are a complete pain in the ass.  I recently received an
email license survey from Cisco to which the following reply was issued:

> [...] this survey is too biassed to want to bother to complete it.
>
> There are no options to select:
>
> - "yes, I have been hit by licensing problems during late night maintenance
> windows when under critical time pressure to get equipment back into
> production, and this has caused downtime", or
>
> -  "licenses are a highly unwelcome crippleware misfeature whose sole
> purpose is to extract more money out of customers for kit they've already
> paid for", or
>
> - "it is fundamentally a bad idea to deliberately put code pathways into
> your software which disable critical features"
>
> etc.  You get the idea.
>
> Everything in the survey is designed around the notion that customers are
> ok with licensing except for some minor implementation details.  Well,
> we're not.
>
> I would appreciate if you could register a single opinion:
>
> "Licenses suck.  Please stop forcing them on us or we will buy even more
> kit from other vendors".

I doubt that the reply will be read, tbh.  Cisco's corporate position is
that they want the go down the road of licensing and regardless of the
extent to which this blows goats and causes customer frustration and pain,
they will carry on regardless.  This sucks.

Nick