[c-nsp] Difference in IP FRR Link vs Per Prefix Option

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 17:39:31 EDT 2013

Here is a good document with regards to Cisco's implementation:

http://www.cisco.com/web/SK/expo2011/pdfs/IP_Fast_reroute_PeterPsenk.pdf

Per the way LFAs are calculated in the RFC per-link doesn't guarantee node
protection but depending on the topology it can provide it.  However a
vendor may choose to calculate the per-link backup path to be a
node-protecting one if they choose and the topology allows it.  Per-prefix
may result in different backup paths based on your topology for two
prefixes which take the same next-hop during normal conditions.  By
default Cisco will try to make a per-prefix LFA bypass the next-hop node
resulting in node protection.

Juniper uses a more efficient implementation and only does per-prefix, but
you can pick and choose whether or not you want link or node-link
protection.  Node-link just adds another step in making sure the path.
Not sure abou the ALU implementation.

Phil