[c-nsp] Auto Negotiate

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jun 5 10:20:11 EDT 2013

On 05/06/2013 15:07, Harry Hambi wrote:
> Been having some strange issues recently regarding auto negotiate. The
> switches in questions are 6509 running IOS 12.2<17r>SX3, and 3750 stack
> IOS 12.2.<53r>SE1. Some pc's connected to ports on these switches will
> not get an IP address when configured to auto..

12.2(17r) is the boot-rom version.  You can get the operating software
revision using:

Router#show version | i s72033

> changed the Network Adapter Link Speed from Auto Neg to 100 meg Full
> ...pc aquires IP,
> Changed to 100 meg Half, pc works.
> Port states show no errors, tried changing ports on switch no change.
> Any ideas appreciated.

I could check the cabling.  I.e. with a proper cable certification tester.
 If that's not the problem it could be crappy drivers or crappy ethernet
cards.  Cisco autoneg works pretty well on both c6500 and c3750 hardware
these days (although it is completely broken on several older units).

Nick