[c-nsp] Difference in IP FRR Link vs Per Prefix Option

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 10:03:55 EDT 2013

I did test LFA in the lab with IOS-XR and Junos a few months ago but I had
a limited topology and didn't test a scenario where one prefix wouldn't
have a valid LFA and the other would when sharing the same primary
next-hop.   According to that presentation in IOS-XR if you have per-link
enabled it would result in no LFA for all prefixes using that primary
next-hop.   Cisco does recommend using per-prefix LFA.  While the RFC may
mention the per-link candidate LFA passing through the current primary
next-hop node, it doesn't always do so.

There are other scenarios where per-prefix can result in better efficiency
when the protecting node has links to multiple routers.

In IOS-XR 4.3.1 Cisco introduced rLFA (remote LFA) which when used in
conjunction with LDP can greatly enhance coverage by bypassing spots where
traffic may loop.

Phil