[c-nsp] RBE on consumer CPE?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Jun 6 13:55:03 EDT 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to help out one of our IPv6 early adopters, and I'm having no luck figuring out if any of the older low-end Cisco CPE support RBE (routed bridge encapsulation).  He has an 837 currently and with the current IOS load he's not seeing the command set to enable this on the atm (dsl) subinterface.

While I'm not seeing anything in the 8xx series listed in Feature Navigator, I'm getting some google hits of random dsl support boards where people are posting 837 and 827 configs that include the rbe command set, so it does seem to exist…

It's a long story, but our dsl provider does an atm to ethernet translation in their network so we end up with a VLAN per ATM pvc.  When the dsl circuit is in rfc1483 "routed" mode, they would have to explicitly support IPv6.  When in rfc1483 "bridged" mode, they basically pass everything.  So we need to put IPv6 folks in bridged mode, hence the need for rbe (or a workalike) on the CPE when the customer needs something that looks like a routed connection (ie: they have a wan block and a lan block routed to them).

Any pointers on other decent CPE welcome.  We're testing some Comtrend units, and they work well but they are a bit hairy for our support folks to work with as they force a delete of all wan settings to do something as simple as changing the wan IPs and dsl encaps…

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman