[c-nsp] Layer 2 Traffic Monitoring

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jun 12 02:48:11 EDT 2013

On (2013-06-12 10:25 +0400), Samar Chokutaev wrote:

> But span/rspan is not a solution for us.
> Because it does not separate internet/IX traffic.
> On a worstation we need some tools to do it.
> Also where is so much traffic to send it via rspan.

I presume it's same link, same MAC, same IP running IXP and IP transit. And
you want to differentiate these to bill on the IP transit portion of
traffic while giving IXP free.

With ME3400 I think there's nothing you can do.

With some smarter box you could do QPPB (QoS Policy Propagation via BGP).
In QPPB in customer interface you'd discriminate customer traffic in two
classes, one class matches IXP community another class matches IP transit
community, then you could SNMP graph these two QoS classes and get
separated traffic values, even separated traffic rates (you could shape IP
transit to different value than IXP)

Another option would be to put IP-Transit in another VLAN, but this creates
another set of problems as certain ports need to see IXP as best next-hop
and certain ports need to see IP transit as best next-hop, there are
solutions to this as well, but they aren't exactly clean either.

--
  ++ytti