[c-nsp] IPv6 prefixes

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jun 18 05:17:57 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 11:50:42AM +0300, Ahmed Hilmy wrote:
> At IPv4 prefixes , we advertised with /24 ( maximum prefix length )
> At IPv6 prefixes , it will be /48 ?
> I would like to confirm it

Cisco routers can announce anything up to a /128.

Everyhing else is not a question for cisco-nsp, but more for NANOG, or
the RIPE routing-wg mailing list.  It's not about "how do I get my router
to announce that" but about consensus across the operator community.

In general, you should announce what you received from your local registry
(RIR), and only announce more specifics if no other options is possible -
and nobody can guarantee that your more specifics will continue to work
in 10 years (not for IPv4 either).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de