[c-nsp] automating router failover in eBGP environment

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Thu Mar 14 11:11:52 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

I received a number of off-list replies which all tended toward:
-	run HSRP on LAN side only
-	have both 7204VXR routers peer either with both providers or split
peering up between routers
-	run iBGP between routers
-	consider BFD to speed up convergence

Some more info: the customer has their own ASN and advertises their block to
both upstream providers. They receive default routes from both providers but
one of them has a higher weight.

The only downside to the suggestions is that it may imply coordinating with
the upstream providers, and the customer wants this done by ... tomorrow! So
I may do a short-term fix, then move to a better design as time permits.

If I come up with a solution which seems groovy in any way, I will share.

Thanks,
Adam