[c-nsp] Symmetrical Routing

Adrian Turcu adriant at domeit.net
Fri Mar 22 07:20:12 EDT 2013

if strict mode configured, your best path must be on the interface you receive the traffic
if loose mode, the source address must appear in the routing table

i believe the phrase you're referring is taken out of context, relative to your question:

--- cite --
The behavior of strict RPF varies slightly by platform, number of recursion levels, and number of paths in Equal-Cost Multipath (ECMP) scenarios. A platform may switch to loose RPF check for some or all prefixes, even though strict RPF is configured. This is referred to as auto-fallback mechanism.
--- /cite ---

and further down:

--- cite --
Strict mode uRPF requires maintenance of uRPF interfaces list for the prefixes. The list contains only strict mode uRPF configured interfaces pointed by the prefix path. uRPF interface list is shared among the prefixes wherever possible. Size of this list is 12 for ASR 9000 Ethernet Line Cards and 64 for integrated 20G SIP cards. Strict to loose mode uRPF fallback happens when the list goes beyond the maximum supported value.
--- /cite ---

If you're just starting on uRPF now, it would probably be best to read generic documentation like this for example, many others around (Google is your best friend if not familiar with the topic). Then you should move towards the specific implementation on a platform you are using or intend to use.... and finally, test in a lab before going in production.