[c-nsp] Sup2T - poor netflow performance

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 27 04:27:49 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:19:14PM +0200, Dumitru Ciobarcianu wrote:
> You're sure you didn't mean 9006 or 9010 ? You can't have redundant RSPs
> in ASR9001, and the chassis is maxed at 12 10G ports...

Yeah, I was talking 9001 :-) - we currently shift about 5 Gbit/s around
per box, with 3-4 10G ports in use.  Limits of the Sup720 that are
starting to affect us are netflow capacity, IPv6 uRPF, and BGP convergence
speed (peering router, many sessions).

We're not really looking for a box that can do 500 Gbit/s, but for a box
that will have a more reasonable operating system than "classic IOS with
the missing feature of the week", more mature IPv6 and netflow support -
and having a faster CPU and larger FIB would not be frowned upon.

We currently do not run redundant SUPs either, but redundant routers
instead.  So not having redundant RSPs on the 9001 is not a big loss.

> ASR9001 is a really nice small machine but a bit immature imho.
>
> I have opened tickets for silly bugs like "igmp snooping breaks ospf" or
> "show ip route command chrashed with SIGSEGV". (XR 4.3.0)

That's a bit surprising - I had assumed that "it's running the same IOS
XR as are the bigger ASR9ks".

> Oh, and they finnaly released an SMU for "onboard ports shutd down for
> no reason" but only for 4.2.3, not 4.3.0 ...
>
> Dumitru "it compiles? ship it!" C.

Well, yeah.  But if you don't want *that*, you can't buy either Cisco or
Juniper...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de