[c-nsp] ASR9k sw quality (Re: Sup2T - poor netflow performance)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 27 03:01:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Mattias Gyllenvarg wrote:

> Very nice platform, we got hit by the "MPLS payload begins with 0x6"
> bug. Couldn't believe it was true.

This was a forwarding bug affecting all ASR9k in 4.2.1. That was the
second major forwarding bug affecting 4.2.1 (the other one was ghost /32s
out of null routed larger aggregates. Yay CEF bugs!).

4.2.0 and 4.2.1 has generally been a complete disaster when it comes to
software Q&A. 4.2.3 with smu pack 2 (released end of january) seem to be a
bit better, but I'm still worried about the SMU velocity.

Also, my pet peeve is that SMUs which fixes bugs that are not yet
published in bug toolkit. I found 3 in 4.2.3 yesterday, gave 1 rating as
feedback, two were published within 1-2 hours of my report. Amazing that
it takes customer bad feedback before things that should just work are
done. One of the SMUs was released in january with the bug still in
"review" yesterday.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se