[c-nsp] CRS-1 FP-40

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun May 5 16:19:19 EDT 2013

On Sunday, May 05, 2013 04:08:55 PM Abdelfattah Ghattas
wrote:

> We are using FP-40 instead of the MSC, and it is working
> fine with no bad experience at all, we are not affected
> by its limitations as we did not need the extra features
> found in the MSC, so i encourage you to go for it if it
> is sufficient for your needs.

I've ran both the FP-40 and FP-140. They just work,
particularly in a BGP-free MPLS core.

The key differences between the FP and MSC is the forwarding
capacity. The FP-40 is rated at 45.5Mpps while the MSC-40 is
60Mpps, although both will do line rate.

When used as an edge router, the FP-40 will also handle
significantly fewer entries related to typical edge features
such as number of VRF's per line card, number l2vpn pw's per
line card, e.t.c.

The FP-40 also has fewer QoS queues than the MSC-40.

If you ever heard of the ASR14000 that never did get off the
ground, well, that is what became the FP-40. The FP
forwarding processors were initially developed by Cisco for
customers that wanted to use the CRS as a peering or border
router, but felt the MSC was too big. The ASR14000 idea was
born, but as with the current ASR9000 (personal opinion), I
guess Cisco saw the potential for overlap in the core
routing space, hence the FP-40.

One processing engine I've never quite used but have always
been curious about is the LSP (Label Switch Processor):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5763/data_sheet_c78-659947.html

It is aimed at operators that have a strong need for MPLS-
based cores, where in all likelihood, pretty much any packet
running through the router will be MPLS-based. My main issue
with such a line card is how well it supports IPv6, since
IPv6 control planes for LDP and RSVP are still not yet out
the cave, and the last thing you need is IPv6 falling over
because the LSP either didn't support it or supported a very
scaled down version of it.

That aside, I exclusively purchase FP-40's or FP-140's for
my CRS deployments. I wouldn't touch an MSC. Too much bang
for too much buck.

Hope this helps.

Mark.