[c-nsp] IOS XR 4.3.0 or 4.3.1

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu May 23 08:36:09 EDT 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013, Jared Mauch wrote:

> So everyone waits and nobody reports a bug for the first 6 months?

Obviously not.

> I summarily reject your irrational fears of "new" software. Software is
> imperfect in all cases.

It seems more imperfect shortly after release than after a while.

> I have specific defects that are keeping me from 4.3.1, these also exist
> in 4.2.3. Are you hitting the same bugs? I don't know.

Me neither. I get very upset when they say that they won't fix things in
4.2.3 (which is supposedly a long-term support release) and they usually
fix it. I take for granted that I'm not the only upset one.

> But rejecting something with loads of bug fixes and architecture changes
> to fix the whole every smu is a reload one because of a calendar without
> defects is irrational and illogical.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.

Anyhow, I apply the same logic here as I do in IOS-land. You start to get
on 12.0(32)SYx when X is above 3 or 4. Same with SRE for 7600, SRE4-5 or
so started to be ok.

Cisco is not alone in this, I'd say most vendors have similar problems.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se