[c-nsp] AP 2600 series autonomous mode

Andrew Jones aj at jonesy.com.au
Fri May 31 02:49:35 EDT 2013

On 31.05.2013 02:33, Bill Blackford wrote:
> This may not be the best forum for this question, so my apologies to
> the
> list.
>
> I am trying to understand the process for converting a new
> AIR-CAP2602E-E-K9 from LWAPP to stand alone. I have the IOS code
> renamed as
> ***.default waiting on a local TFTP host listening on 10.0.0.2.
>
> 1. What happens when the "mode" button is pushed?
> 2. Assuming the answer to 1. above is the AP will download the IOS
> code.
> Will it then restart itself now booting from the IOS image?
>
> The documentation I'm finding is not real clear on this part.
>
> Thank you for any help,

Hi Bill,
You need to hold the mode button from boot until the status LED turns
red. At that point, yes, it will download and install the IOS from the
TFTP server you've set up. Watch the serial console while you do it,
it'll help you understand the process better (particularly the exact
filename it's looking for). I don't recall whether it reboots by itself
after installing the standalone IOS, but I believe it does.

Another way of converting the AP to standalone from the console, is to
log in as cisco/Cisco, enable, then run 'debug capwap console cli'. At
this point you can install the standalone IOS from tftp manually, just
like you would an upgrade.

Andrew