[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Nov 8 01:55:06 EST 2013

On Friday, November 08, 2013 08:12:04 AM CiscoNSP List
wrote:

> If you lost a PE, would you migrate those customer tails
> to an alternate PE? (Assume you would to minimise
> downtime?)

This is why we moved to MPLS in the Access, via the Cisco
ME3600X platform.

With this box, we were now able to offer services directly
at the access port connecting to the customer's CPE. IPv4,
IPv6, l2vpn's, l3vpn's (and in the future, Multicast) were
now being handed off right in the Access. So your only
concern here is failure of the switch, which motivates
customers to buy a second link to another switch, either in
the same or different fibre ring.

Upstream PE router failure is a non-issue in this case since
the Access rings are, well, rings :-).

> Im interested in how PE failures are dealt with in large
> networks.

When your provider sends you a maintenance notification that
there could be an outage when they replace the control plane
on the PE router your service is connected to, they don't
typically offer you the option of migrating to a PE router
which will not be undergoing maintenance - certainly not for
free anyway.

However, to your point, when you trunk a Layer 2 switched
network to a PE router, all the options previously mentioned
are how most operators have dealt with this issue (i.e.,
EEM, mirrored VLAN configurations, e.t.c.).

There is some new tech. that vendors are now starting to
push where there is inter-chassis state shared for services
such as NAT, PPPoE, DHCP, e.t.c., which is helpful in
Broadband scenarios where customers are backhauled to a
single BRAS, but can quickly be migrated to another BRAS in
times of failure, helped by inter-chassis state replication.

Inter-chassis state replication is hardware dependent, and
may not be supported for all the features you need. I know
it's being developed quite significantly on the ASR1000
platform, for example, and I did implement it once for NAT44
so that set-top boxes in an IPTv network don't lose
connectivity to VoD content if one of the NAT routers
failed. Feature versatility was a bit lean back then (2011),
but it has developed quite extensively in the last two
years.

Cheers,

Mark.