[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

CiscoNSP List cisconsp_list at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 9 15:26:15 EST 2013

Thanks Mark - As always, extremely helpful!

> This is why we moved to MPLS in the Access, via the Cisco
> ME3600X platform.
>
> With this box, we were now able to offer services directly
> at the access port connecting to the customer's CPE. IPv4,
> IPv6, l2vpn's, l3vpn's (and in the future, Multicast) were
> now being handed off right in the Access. So your only
> concern here is failure of the switch, which motivates
> customers to buy a second link to another switch, either in
> the same or different fibre ring.

Very interesting - Im liking this as a solution! Ive had a look at the ME3600X (Are you using the ME-3600X-24TS? i.e. you dont require the "CX" version for L3 + L2 VPNs?), and you need Advanced Metro IP Access?

So in this scenario, we would replace the 4848's with ME3600X's, and all L3(VRF) config would be done on the 3600X's (Carrier AGG's would still terminate on the 3600X's)

Both 3600X's would be connected, plus have mesh to the P's? And run OSPF/MPLS and TE on these links?

I dont have access to pricing atm, but are the 3600X's a "lot" more expensive than 4948's?

Thanks again for your responses.