[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Nov 10 11:26:10 EST 2013

On Saturday, November 09, 2013 10:26:15 PM CiscoNSP List
wrote:

> Very interesting - Im liking this as a solution! Ive had
> a look at the ME3600X (Are you using the ME-3600X-24TS?
> i.e. you dont require the "CX" version for L3 + L2
> VPNs?), and you need Advanced Metro IP Access?

We generally use the -FS version since it's easier turn
optical ports into copper ports than the other way around
:-).

We don't use the -CX version because, for me, it was a bit
of a let-down. When the -CX chassis came out, I was hoping
for a 1U or 1.5U chassis with 48x Gig-E ports, since the 24-
port unit, while very nice, is not dense enough for me.

That said, the -CX is modular and can handle a little more
traffic. But it's also larger if you're deploying in places
that have space constraints. For me, it's the kind of box
you'd deploy for mobile networks that need E1/DS3/e.t.c.
hand-off with an Ethernet backhaul. In my case, the 1U
systems are better because we're Ethernet-centric, in the
core and customer-facing.

For the ME3600X, don't forget to ask for the 10Gbps license
if you need the uplinks to run at that rate, and also for
the Advanced Metro IP Access license if you want full
IP/MPLS/Ethernet features.

> So in this scenario, we would replace the 4848's with
> ME3600X's, and all L3(VRF) config would be done on the
> 3600X's (Carrier AGG's would still terminate on the
> 3600X's)

Yep.

You then don't have to worry about all the issues you've
been raising these past days, as the ring interconnecting
the switches to your core are IP/MPLS-based, and you can
offer IP-based and MPLS-based services to customers directly
off the ports on the ME3600X switch, without having to
tunnel upstream to a PE router.

The ME3600X also acts exactly like a router for important
features like QoS (both directions), EVC's, e.t.c. So you're
not sacrificing features by not going the traditional Layer
2 Metro-E model.

> Both 3600X's would be connected, plus have mesh to the
> P's? And run OSPF/MPLS and TE on these links?

Exactly.

> I dont have access to pricing atm, but are the 3600X's a
> "lot" more expensive than 4948's?

IMHO, for all the features and benefits that this platform
brings to a Metro-E and ring-based Access architecture, it's
excellent value for money.

I can't, obviously, disclose the pricing we get, but you'll
be surprised to find it's a steal compared to what you're
willing to pay for a brain-dead Ethernet switch.

Cheers,

Mark.