[c-nsp] Cisco2921 vs 7206VXR/NPE-400

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 12 07:03:52 EST 2013

On Monday, November 11, 2013 08:42:02 PM Adam Greene wrote:

> Well, the 7206VXR rebooted unexpectedly a few days ago,
> with a "System returned to ROM by error - an Error
> Interrupt" which usually implies a hardware issue of
> some kind. I reseated all components and removed unused
> cards to minimize issues, but the thought did cross my
> mind to avoid the complications of troubleshooting 10yr+
> old hardware and replacing components with used parts,
> by going with something brand spanking new.

7200-VXR chassis are cheap. Adding an NPE-G2 is likely to be
cheaper than buying a new ISR, and will get your more
performance with more features.

As someone else had suggested, the NPE-G2 is good too, but
if you need to support more PA's (especially non-Ethernet,
which tax the fabric less), it's not that scalable.

Mark.