[c-nsp] 7600 10GE card recommendations (1 & 2 port cards)

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 05:20:57 EST 2013

Hi All,

I am looking for some 1 and 2 port 10Gig Ethernet line cards for 7600
series chassis (7604/6/9) which already have SUP-720-3CXLs in them.

Some need 1 10G port and others 2 (larger chassis, 7609), so 4 or more
ports is too many as that seems to at least double the price so I
don't want to purchase 4 port cards and have spare ports with nothing
on the horizon to allocate them for.

I have seen the following;

WS-X6501-10GEX4:
Apart from being old, they seem to be SC only which isn't the end of
the world as I can buy an SC to LC cable although these seem to only
have an 8Gbps bus (unless I'm mistaken), so I can't get 10G out of it
anyway! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7600-ES20-10G3C:
This seems more what I'm after, 2x 10G ports, no too expensive, plus
they look like they will do line rate 10 gig.

Are there any other cards that have 1x or 2x 10G ports that also
support Ethernet/IP/MPLS at line rate? That first card I believe
doesn't support MPLS (I can't decipher the Cisco docs), if that is
correct it's no use to me anyway. I'm preferably after cards with
optic slots on them like SFP slots or X2 slots etc, no 10G copper
Ethernet cards.

The cards are for uplink ports into the core so no QoS is required for
example or ACLs but Ethernet/IP/MPLS features at line rate are
required.

Many thanks,
James.