[c-nsp] Catalyst 6500: IPv6-enabled SVIs

Vladimir Troitskiy ruthenate at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 07:36:00 EST 2013

Hello,

I apologize for talk with myself but I found the reason of that hardware
TCAM label capacity issue was "ipv6 multicast-routing":

Cat6500#sh tcam counts ipv6
Used Free Reserved
---- ---- --------
Labels:(in) 160 352
Labels:(eg) 5 507

Cat6500#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Cat6500(config)#no ipv6 multicast-routing
Cat6500(config)#end

Cat6500#sh tcam counts ipv6
Used Free Reserved
---- ---- --------
Labels:(in) 11 501
Labels:(eg) 5 507

There is the following statement in the "Implementing IPv6 Multicast" for
IOS 15.0SY<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipv6/configuration/15-0sy/ip6-multicast.html>
:
"On Cisco Catalyst 6500 and Cisco 7600 series routers, the ipv6
multicast-routing also must be enabled in order to use IPv6 unicast
routing".

I disabled "ipv6 multicast-routing" on test box with 12.2 SXJ3 and did some
quick tests - IPv6 works without any issues. May be I missed something or
it will not work with 15.0.

--
vetr