[c-nsp] QoS for VoIP - clarification needed in non-congested times

Arash Alizadeh arash.a at hotmail.se
Thu Nov 21 05:02:55 EST 2013

Hi,

(i) Based on what you're trying to achieve, your policy doesn't make too much sense.
You say that the bottleneck is your upstream bw of 3Mbps, but still you shape the traffic to 48Mbps.

(ii) It's essential to know what type of link the policy will be attached to. Physical link-speed should always be considered in QoS engineering due to serialization delay-variation between different ifaces. I assume now that you have a FE link towards a cable-modem.

(iii) Just to clarify. If there's no congestion on the link, there's no way for packets to get prioritized.
Think of it as the queue to a cashier at your grocerystore. If theres no line at all, you'll just pay and go through, regardless of your personal status. It's the same logic behing LLQ. The priority queue/LLQ only activates when prioritized frames enters an already congested tx-queue.

Since I assume that you have a FE link towards a modem, I would go for a hierachial policy to shape all traffic regardless of class, then have an underlying policy where you prioritize the VoIP class.

My suggestion:

policy-map LLQ
 class QOS_REAL-TIME_VOIP
  priority
  police 2500000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

policy-map PARENT-SHAPER
  class class-default
    shape average 3000000
    service-policy LLQ

interface FastEthernetX
 service-policy output PARENT-SHAPER

Notice that policer is present to prevent VoIP class from starving the whole bandwidth. But if you don't care about this you could just skip it.
Good luck!

Regards,
Arash