[c-nsp] MPLS-TP on CPT platform vs IP/MPLS core on ASR with TE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 26 22:18:01 EST 2013

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:37:29 AM Gert Doering
wrote:

> If we're talking about the same thing, I think it's a
> great idea, and the only problem is that vendors
> charging extra for using it (and thus, many people are
> not using it even if their hardware could)...

IPoDWDM's issues were less about its technology:

	- Several DWDM vendors didn't (and hardly, today,)
	  support alien wavelengths. Those that did
	  supported it only for the line side, so port
	  density was poor.

	- IPoDWDM only made sense if you owned both the
	  Transmission and IP networks. Trying to lease a
	  colored wave from a telco doesn't generally go
	  down well, in most parts.

	- There is a real concern when IP and Optical teams
	  need to give up their network to one another.
	  GMPLS visibility into either domain was meant to
	  solve this, but people are protective of their
	  jobs.

This is all coming back now under the SDN (yuck!) guise, so
we'll see.

Cisco are pushing this hard on the NCS, as are Juniper on
the PTX (particularly after all the work Juniper and Adva
have done in incorporating optics on their router).

Mark.