[c-nsp] MPLS-TP on CPT platform vs IP/MPLS core on ASR with TE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Nov 27 21:55:23 EST 2013

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:24:34 AM Adam Vitkovsky
wrote:

> How I see it is that we all IP and Optical are gonna lose
> our jobs to SDN and we'll be only called to set it up
> initially or when things go fishy, though we'll make
> sure they won't so we'll be called in for the next setup
> job.

Don't get me started on SDN :-).

Always amazes me how forgetful our industry is, especially
if you don't actually operate or engineer the network.

> Right the pre-fec trigger for failover is gonna be needed
> more and more as the data rates increases and even
> slightest downtime means significant loss of data.
> Though these transceivers are still immensely expensive.

Key to success will be to find a way to do this on grey
optics. I don't think that this being only available on
colored waves/optics will be feasible, unless colored optics
somehow become much more affordable.

In the mean time, development of protocols in the IETF space
is what most of us shall live on.

Mark.