[c-nsp] DMVPN/mGRE on L3VPN - anyone experience issues with encapsulation overhead/MTU?

JP Senior SeniorJ at bennettjones.com
Wed Oct 9 11:30:17 EDT 2013

Hey, all.
I'm looking at an option to consolidate and reduce complexity of a multi-provider L3VPN network in a way that lets me also use internet-based VPNs for backup.  Right now I have dual provider uplinks at all of my sites to provide me inter-office WAN connectivity.

DMVPN is a nice and easy option where I can have everything run in a single routing domain, drasticially simplifying my network topology.

Has anyone experience with a network running in such a design?  I am concerned about increased latency, and worse, packet overhead.  I'm not sure I'll be able to get jumbos on these providers, so I'll have to deal with ipsec/gre overhead.  I don't do anything crazy blocking with ICMP, but I'm still hesitant to move forward with such a design.

-JP Senior

The contents of this message may contain confidential and/or privileged
subject matter. If this message has been received in error, please contact
the sender and delete all copies. Like other forms of communication,
e-mail communications may be vulnerable to interception by unauthorized
parties. If you do not wish us to communicate with you by e-mail, please
notify us at your earliest convenience. In the absence of such
notification, your consent is assumed. Should you choose to allow us to
communicate by e-mail, we will not take any additional security measures
(such as encryption) unless specifically requested.