[c-nsp] 10GBase-LR and 10GBase-LRM compatibility

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Mon Oct 21 15:24:37 EDT 2013

Can't seem to find a definitive answer on this anywhere so I figured I'd
throw it out here.

We've got some new routers (ASR-9001s) with 10GbaseLR optics in them.
(Data sheet for these only mentions supporting SR/LR/ER/ZR optics.)
We've got an existing pair of 4948E's with some available 10GBaseLRM
optics in them.

Can we connect these together with a short single-mode jumper and get a
stable link, if so does the LRM receive side possibly/probably need
optical attenuators on it to keep it from over-driving the optics?

We'd obviously like to avoid spending another $16K list to buy 4 new
SFP-10G-LR optics for the other side if they're not needed.  :-)

Thanks for any feedback on this, as you can guess, searching for terms
like "10GBase-LR 10GBase-LRM compatibility" leads to a lot of links to
buy compatible optics, but nobody seems to say "yes this works" or "this
will fry it if you try"

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com