[c-nsp] 10GBase-LR and 10GBase-LRM compatibility

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Oct 21 16:14:44 EDT 2013

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Jeremy Bresley wrote:

> We've got some new routers (ASR-9001s) with 10GbaseLR optics in them.  (Data
> sheet for these only mentions supporting SR/LR/ER/ZR optics.)  We've got an
> existing pair of 4948E's with some available 10GBaseLRM optics in them.
>
> Can we connect these together with a short single-mode jumper and get a
> stable link, if so does the LRM receive side possibly/probably need optical
> attenuators on it to keep it from over-driving the optics?

I suspect trying to connect an LR to an LRM wouldn't work very well.  My
main concern would be the receive side of both optics not being able to
recover enough of the light if a singlemode patch is used.

It might work, but I would suspect that if you got into trouble and needed
to call TAC, they would tell you that the link is built in a way that
isn't supported.

You won't blow anything up, but the link might not be stable or
error-free...

Would 10GBASE-SR optics with OM3/OM4 patches be an option for you?  That
would cost a lot less than 4 more LRs.

jms