[c-nsp] Bridging over PPP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Sep 1 06:36:29 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 02:21:15PM -0700, Mike wrote:
> 	I have a location that has several PPPoE customers, which are
> terminating on my 7201 router. I have a somewhat unreliable ethernet
> link connecting these users to the router which I have decided to
> replace with a link formed of bonded T1's. The question is can I somehow
> create an ethernet bridge over bonded T1's (ppp multilink) or must I use

There's at least two ways to bridge over PPP - one is "classic bridging"
(put the PPP interface into a bridge-group, put the LAN interface in
question into the same bridge group, off you go).  I have no idea how
well that still works, as Cisco might consider it "legacy" and no longer
fully supported.

The other option is ethernet-over-mpls ("ATOM EoMPLS"), which requires
that you turn on MPLS on the PPP interface, and then you can virtually
connect two lan ports left and right to make "a long ethernet cable" -
lab it first, MPLS is a complex technology and has lots of potential
to shoot off your foot (and the rest of the network with it).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de