[c-nsp] qos plan - advice please

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Sep 1 22:00:45 EDT 2013

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 01:11:21 AM Robert Blayzor
wrote:

> Congestion management and congestion avoidance are moot
> points if there is no congestion in the network.

In general, I'd say that QoS in over-engineered networks is
helpful during transient spikes.

I suspect that buffers will continue to get smaller as line
cards get bigger (think 100Gbps, 400Gbps, 1Tbps, e.t.c.
interfaces), as queueing delay should not be as big an issue
on those line cards as it is on, say 2.5Gbps, 1Gbps,
622Mbps, 155Mbps, 100Mbps, E3/DS3 or E1/T1 ports.

Otherwise, if your network is over-supplied, QoS will just
help with other things like packet marking, packet matching
and actions that can be taken from those results which don't
necessarily relate to congestion management.

Mark.