[c-nsp] mitigate output drops on Cisco 2960G platform

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 20 14:23:17 EDT 2013

On 20/09/2013 17:56, Martin T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have three WS-C2960G-24TC-L switches which all have about ten
> servers connected. Each switch has a single 1GigE uplink. Those 1GigE
> uplink ports on all switches experience occasional OutDiscards.

As per Gert's reply - this is a platform "feature". Even small
microbursts can overload these devices.

Unless you can shape the link-layer egress behaviour of your hosts, you
will have to live with this, provision more uplink bandwidth or change
device. See the archives for upgrade suggestions, but be aware that Cat
3560/3750 have the same issue; you need to go to 4500/6500 or
Nexus/DC-grade switches before it improves.

(However: I wonder if the various techniques being discussed elsewhere -
like the new Linux kernel packet pacing, disabling TCP segmentation
offload and reducing nic ring, kernel and app buffers - might alleviate
the generation of microbursts?)