[c-nsp] mitigate output drops on Cisco 2960G platform

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Sep 20 16:12:50 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 07:23:17PM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> (However: I wonder if the various techniques being discussed elsewhere -
> like the new Linux kernel packet pacing, disabling TCP segmentation
> offload and reducing nic ring, kernel and app buffers - might alleviate
> the generation of microbursts?)

That actually sounds *very* interesting.  Especially TCP segmentation
has bit me elsewhere as well, on 1G->100M speed translations, with an
AIX machine firing out something like a 15-packet-burst back-to-back
(due to "one big TCP segment being stuffed into the card") and that
overflowing a stupid switch on the path...

(That particular problem was "solvable" by moving the AIX box to a 100Mbit
port, which immediately made all users behind WAN links much more happy,
as they did not have packet loss at noticeable RTTs anymore...)

Getting off-topic, but the whole idea of people actually working on this
is something I find exciting :-)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de